[meteorite-list] Petrologic Groups

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Hello Rob's and list,

> Can or would anyone on the list take a moment and explain to me the 1-10
> subgrouping system on the petrologic group 3's?

Petrographic grades 3.0 through 3.9 are obtained by measuring changes of
thermoluminescence (TL) of chondrules. TL measures the luminesence of the
sample after it is irradiated.
During mild metamorphism tiny grains of feldspar start to grow in a glassy
chondrule. The higher the metamorphism, the more feldspar is present and
feldspar causes a marked increase in thermoluminence. This allows one to
subdivide the petrographic grade 3 meteorites.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Frank

Also, could someone please explain how a chondrite achieves a petrologic