[meteorite-list] Flaming rocks.........another story.

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

List Members,
Let me apologize in advance if any of you consider this a waste of
time. Most of us are quite serious about the business of meteorites so a
little humor once in a while can be refreshing.

About a month ago, a customer called me and was very excited to announce he
knew where we could find a meteorite. Refusing to give me details over the
phone, he requested we meet at a point half way between our two residences
- about a two hour drive for me.

Once we met, he proceeded to tell me this story.

  Two friends of his, a married couple, were vacationing on a houseboat on
Lake Powell. Lake Powell is a huge impoundment of water on the
Utah/Arizona border and is held in place by Glen Canyon Dam. Right after
sundown, the women saw a large, bright burning object speeding through the
sky. Within a matter of a few seconds, it hit the water and created
a huge wave. Being only a quarter mile or so from the "splash zone", the
couple pulled anchor and motored over to the spot. Estimated time from
impact to their arrival at the spot - 15 minutes. This was where I
interrupted him and asked how they knew the exact spot of the impact on
such a large body of water. "It was easy", he replied, "they could see it
still glowing under the water."

After following up on dozens of these goose chase "meteorite stories", I am
convinced that we live in a world full of gullable folks that possess very
little common sense.

Have a good weekend,

John Gwilliam
John Gwilliam Meteorites