[meteorite-list] "Flaming rocks"???

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Why aren't meteorites hot or in "flames" when they fall?

The surface of meteorites ablate, thus taking the majority of heat away from
the falling meteor.

The suface of airplane wings do not ablate, thus the wings retain heat.

-Walter

Walter Branch, Ph.D.
Branch Meteorites
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B