[meteorite-list] "Flaming rocks"???

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

--part1_cd.23464c7.27b71b75_boundary

In a message dated 2/10/01 3:10:49 PM Central Standard Time,
fprochas_at_premier1.net writes:

> Question for those with experience performing microhardness measurements on
> meteorites. Are metal flakes in chondrites typically of a size large enough
> to do this analysis. If so, and if the flakes are relatively homogenous,
> might it be possible to measure the microhardness of flakes at the fusion
> crust and then further toward the center to develop a curve similar to those
> done for irons?

Hello Frank et al.,

I might suggest such an experiment on a slice of Portales Valley. I have
some slices that have huge portions of metal as well as large stone portions
right up against the edges. The crust is unusual as it is not too thick. I
know many experts call PV just an ordinary chondrite, but there could some
interesting stone verses metal melting/ablation comparisons since both
portions experienced the identical circumstances during the fall.

I would imagine that some Mesosiderite Falls (such as Estherville) might be
good for such an experiment too.

Steve Arnold

--part1_cd.23464c7.27b71b75_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 2/10/01 3:10:49 PM Central Standard Time,