[meteorite-list] More petrographic questions.

From: Frank Prochaska <fprochas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Hello all,

Okay, now I'm confused on the chondrite type 6 or 7 vs. achondrite issue. I
was not aware of an achondrite with relict chondrules. My understanding
from the literature was that "chondrites" are relatively primitive
meteorites in that they had elemental abundances relatively unchanged
(disregarding volatiles of course) from the protoplanetary disk and the Sun.
Some of these don't have chondrules (CIs and type 7's for example) but the
distinction was not pressence of chondrules but the chemistry. My
understanding of achondrites was that these were no longer chemically
primitive in the above sense, but were the products on partial melting,
recrystallization, etc., of chondritic parent rocks. I don't know much
about acapulcoites, but it doesn't seem likely that the underlying chemistry
of the rock could change much if it still has relict chondrules.

Can someone point me to some citations for acapulcoites and descriptions of
achondrite classification technical details in general?

Frank Prochaska