[meteorite-list] Re: Shock Stage / Weathered grade etc

From: Mauro Ianeselli <mauroianeselli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

edward moore wrote:

> Reading in Nortons book he descibes how a meteorite
> gets its "H" or "L" rating based on chondrules etc.
> Does anyone have a "rating sysytem" as to what is a
> S1,S2, W2,W3 etc. I did not see any references to this
> scale in the book, maybe I missed it. My othe
> rquestion is what does a reseacher look for, steps
> taken to decide that this is a H4, S2, W2 etc.
> I am looking to buy another book on meteorites. I have
> Nortons and Haag's field guide, what else should one
> buy.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ed

Hello Ed and list,

another good book is:

Harry Y. McSween
"Meteorites and their parent planets" (second edition)
Cambridge University Press, 1999

and for the history of meteorites (but this book is out of print):

John G.Burke
"Cosmic debris - Meteorites in history"
Univ. of California Press, 1986

Regards, Mauro Ianeselli