[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites Lost to science (Was Meteorobs what does a meteorite look like?

From: E.L.Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

Here is my editorial on the topic and still it is economical at 2 cents
and issue.
price has been driven up in some collectors market and often lost to the
people who should be studying it for clues about the origins of the solar
system."
I think we collectively, don't want any&nbsp; meteorite lost to science.&nbsp;
Yet, this statement is an implied affirmation that this IS the state of
afairs in the world <i>e.g</i>. "...often lost to the people who should
be studying"? That is a double insult to the collector's community. After
all ,don't those collections get ultimately donated to the world's curators?
And to get recognized, don't they have to have a portion curated in one
of those research institutions?&nbsp; This sounds like a public affairs,
political posturing, retorical statement&nbsp; rather than reasoned beliefs.
Instutional types resent the market in anything.&nbsp; They were complacently
used to being given anything they wanted-- eminate domain over private
interests. When the middle class evolved to enjoy the artifacts museums
rejected, the museums laughed at them. I ask&nbsp; outside the Cold Desert
Collection..... Where did the world's supply of meteorites come from....
>From private individuals by in far. The cost of acquisition of the world's
curated collection of meteorites where ever they may be is very likely
less than US$2.5 million total. Yet the inventory value of the curated
non Antarctic meteorites is $30-$50 maybe even $100 million if valued at
open market prices. Where is the Beef?
away" bloke of Canadian extraction with some realtime meteorite recovery
responsibilities-- I was flabbergasted at this assertion of "meteorites
being lost to science often". Even if this was not what he was talking
directly about-- Taglish Lake is too fresh in my mind for that statement
to be digestible.&nbsp; Something like 80-99% of that novel type of meteorite
became "catastrophically water-altered" at the bottom of the lake and along
its snowy shores--&nbsp; forever lost to science and collections.&nbsp;
The rationale for revoking export permission for privately owned Taglish
Lake Stones, demand of the return of the identification samples, and the
exclusion of any volunteer hunters at the time of the fall, is not defensible
-- it was "cutting off one's nose to spite the community's face!!!"
is clandestinely expressed in one-sided, yet legal position.&nbsp; After
all, these are all "learn-ed men" are they not? So let me state now--Both
Rob And Ed have been cordial and professional with me in all assistance
in past dealings.&nbsp; I do not consider them irrational or selfish. I
respect their positions and I know if they actually feel that there are
meteorites stolen from Canada and Australia they must be revoicing the
"us vs. them "attitudes by researchers they associate with. Perhaps I shouldn't
presume to speak for them, however.&nbsp; Where do these beliefs arrise?&nbsp;
Why are they so slanted against the collector's market?
which might be the roots of such belief, especially when one only hears
the positions of the Australian authorities. Restrictions on Export of
Australian meteorites cam about as a result of the temper tantrum like
response of the Australian researcher who ran to his governement crying
foul.&nbsp; We have asked for years that the universities open up dialog
with the hunting community at large.&nbsp; Largely, we are ignored, discounted,
and given the go away brush-off. So we, too, maintain our stereotypes of
the research community. This issue has surfaced on the list from time to
time over the last three years. (We are very fortunate to have some researchers
party to our list. With notable exception, they rarely make input. At least
they get to see our position, even if YUC is in our lexicon).
via inflated (market) prices, are they ignoring the fact that a requisite
20% or 20 grams must be placed in curation for the Meteoritical Society
to approve a meteorite's classification?&nbsp; Frankly, institutional to
private back to institutional trades are a daily affair. If the powers
that be in the former colonies don't participate it may be more because
of their own arrogance rather than that they are truly priced out of the
market.&nbsp; Not "just any" researcher/institution can get access to "just
any" of the Antarctic meteorites. It is not a matter of money <i>per se.</i>&nbsp;
Access to selected meteorites is gained by submission of a research proposal.
It must meet peer review and stand in a line with other requesters and
be ordered by merit. I would argue that if a researcher hasn't gotten hold
of a meteorite(s) they want to study it is easier to blame the "collector"
than to accept that their search request didn't make the cut. I further
suspect that they are "closet collectors" and would be openly were many
of them not restricted from private ownership.
and think it was more injurious to the meteorite community than collectors
will EVER be a detriment to science-- and the belief that we are injurious
is fraught with fallacy and jealousy.&nbsp; The research community has
access to some 24,000 plus meteorites from Antarctica.&nbsp; We have had
access to TWO of them by last count.&nbsp; Virtually NONE of the fantastic
finds of Africa and The Mid-East would be available at ALL were it not
for the market generated by collectors and the hunters who go find them!&nbsp;
Let me restate: Big Brother has 95 to 99% of the known meteorites and they
begrudge us what we pay to go find?
finds, they would have moral grounds to stand on. For example, IF I ever
recovered the "biggie"--&nbsp; I might be inclined to license the distribution
of such material that I retain ownership.&nbsp; Licenses would possibly
be VERY difficult to obtain by researchers in countries which were stingy
with their material.
to researchers... or is this a tale that has been repeated so often that
it is accepted as fact.
some of the popular meteorite collecting countries so that we may judge
for ourselves what is legal and illegal.
to what institution because it was too expensive/out of means to get it
from the curator?&nbsp; Im am sure there have been, but was this for display
or hard research that it was out of reach?