[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites Lost to science (Was Meteorobs what does a meteorite looklike?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

Hi Elton and all,

Your post regarding the Meteorites Lost To Science was well said and well put.
Museums, Universities and other curation facilities DO have most of the specimen's (95
% to 99%) of all the material out there. I don't know of any collector who wouldn't
provide a piece for research if it were needed. The trouble with governments are they
only want more and more of the pie all the time. Much of the research is done from
public funds and from the hard work of the taxed citizens who provide the means to
understand what these rocks from space are and what they mean. Also many of the
privately owned specimens are much better kept than what I have seen at some museums
and curation facilities.

I talked to Bob Haag one time about the Calcalong Creek. I don't want to do Bob's
speaking for him but he stated that the piece was shipped over to him in a batch of
Millbillillie's under legal export. Once he found out what it was, he offered some of
the material up to the Australian Government and some was given to NASA for study. It
is my understanding that the Australian Government wanted it all back and wouldn't
consider his generous offer of part of it back.

With Tagish Lake on everyone's mind and the amount of material that was lost due to
the failed Canadian Governments greedy decision to not let others hunt and preserve
the material, I for one take real issue with this sort of arrogant behavior and failed
policy. Until a bargain is struck with the collecting community on how to work so that
everyone benefits, much more material will probably meet such fates. Don't begrudge me
my little morsel that I have when there is a feast on your own plate.

--AL