[meteorite-list] DIXON SPRINGS BOY CLAIMS CLOSEENCOUNTER WITH METEORITE

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

Hi All,

Most of the kids out there have heard of the Noblesville fall. I have asked many of
them when viewing my meteorite specimens on display if they have heard of this fall.
Many respond that they have. NASA puts out a nice little packet for teachers to use on
teaching the subject of meteorites which also includes this fall.

Though I wouldn't write this off without seeing the piece, from some of the things
mentioned in the article I would be willing to bet that this is a hoax. There are too
many buzz words that have been used to make me think otherwise. Also the fact he has
suggested the meteorite burnt a hole in his glove makes me very suspicious. I
especially like the fact they took it to the University and the "EXPERTS" looked at
the piece but couldn't tell if it was or not. A Classic case of taking to someone who
knows little about meteoritics and doesn't even know who to send it to, though they
did state he should send it to Chicago.

The fact the kid isn't interested in having anyone look at it further to determine its
cosmic origins and the fact they are hoping for a college education from the piece
tells me a lot. Also the mention of some new fungus growing on it shows he has paid
attention of news articles about the Martian Meteorites.

I would be glad to check this out next time I am down to Evansville if I can arrange a
meeting. I would be glad to take pictures and share the chase with the readers here.

--AL