[meteorite-list] DIXON SPRINGS BOY CLAIMS CLOSEENCOUNTER WITH METEORITE

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

Hi Kelly,

It seem that both you and Rhett Bourland both live in that general area. Rhett and I have
talked about checking this out as well as a few others from my area. I have dealt with this
sort of thing before and would suggest that one of two things are possible. The person doing
the story didn't contact the University for their report on the object and took the word of
the findee's or most sadly the University really doesn't have the real expertise to examine
specimens or test for them. I have found the ladder true several dozen times and have heard
creative ideas from well educated people! In one case a meteorwrong in Ft.Wayne, IN. held by a
family was suppose to be a stony-iron. It wasn't.

I think contacting the University would be a great idea and we might just get another side to
all this. I think asking the right questions as to why it was or wasn't a meteorite would be
in order, as well as who examined it and if they check out specimens on a somewhat regular
basis. Best to all.

--AL