[meteorite-list] NEAR Bounces to Historic Landing on Asteroid Eros

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

Hi Stuart,

> Its nice to be right. From:
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010212/ts/space_eros_dc_7.html
> comes the quote:
>
> "It probably bounced at least once, possibly as high as 100 yards before
it
> came to a stop, astronomers said."

If true, I want extra-credit for predicting a bounce or
bounces also! ;-) However, I've seen at least one report
that said the thrusters were still firing at the time of
the initial impact and continued to do so afterward,
so if I was in the "no-bounce camp", I would declare all
bets off. [I still say it would have bounced, thrusting
or not.]

Cheers,
Rob