[meteorite-list] Ron et al: How do you map EROS?

From: Nick Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

Hi Ron, and list-goers,

I'm teaching a course in computational cartography, computers and maps. We
will be getting into the subject of Earth-bound projections of a sphere
onto flat surfaces, and to make the subject a bit more interesting, I'd
like to know how you go about mapping the irregular volume of Eros? Do you
use small flat-map projections tied into the 3D volumetric shape? How do
you go about pasting images together to make a mosaic? Or do you decide to
keep all the information in 3D coordinates in a virtual model on computer
and generate the views you need on demand?

I'd really like some more information on this process. Do you have any
pointers to publications, articles or web resources?

Curiously yours,
Nick