[meteorite-list] help!

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

Jay,
        Several actions should be taken:
        First, exterminate your 6 year old cousin. His mother
may object, but explain it is for the benifit of the gene pool.
        On a more serious note: If your home has a gass stove,
put the specimen in the oven. The piolot light makes the
oven nearly zero humidity and 24 hrs will do wonders. GET
YOUR MOTHER'S PERMISSION and make sure no one is going
to use the oven! Put it on a paper towel on a saucer to protect
it from any greese or the like.
        If your home does not have a gass oven, soak the specimen
in alcohol for several minutes. Use the highest % alcohol
available - usually 93% or so - if you can only get 70%, that
is still better than nothing - as soon as you open a 93%
solution it sucks moisture from the air, anyway.
        After soaking, leave the specimen in the driest area
possible. The alcohol has a phenomenal propensity to
completely obsorb water - then, it evaporates redily. Many
of us use only alcohol as a coolant when cutting meteorites
with diamond saws. (BEWARE OF FIRE! Alcohol burns with a
flame aproximately 5 times hotter than a candel AND its
flame is nearly invisible to the human eye!)
        Don't leave your meteorites out for your demented
cousin in the future.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that
created them.