[meteorite-list] Re: Perfect Meteorite?

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:11 2004

Hello Kelly,
Other Factors?
Diameter: At some diameter ,angular momentum will over take the shear resistance
--.i.e. the back end of the meteorite is going to try to come around the ends or
up the middle of the center of gravity as the front of the meteorite starts to
slow down. Mass on the outer edge of the sphere has a work advantage. The
momentum disparity from the front of the object to the rear of the object may be
small but could be magnified via leverage. I assume there is an optimal size at
least mathematically.

Temperature: The brittleness of the matrix, at typical extreme space temperatures,
may affect ultimate ability of the object to keep together. Elasticity is near
zero so crystal bonds would be rigid and more susceptible to shear. A hot
meteorite would be more flexible and less susceptible to fragmentation.

Dos Centavos
Elton