[meteorite-list] Mg/Fe+Mg of Bulk Planet

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Robert Beauford wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out the significance of
> "Mg/Fe+Mg of Bulk Planet" in terms of planetary
> materials.

Hi All!

I don't know if the "Mg/Fe+Mg of Bulk Planet" refers to the distinction
between achondrite groups, but if it does, here is what I can offer:

The Fe/(Fe+Mg) ratio allows meteoriticists to measure the degree of
oxidation of mineral assemblages in metorites. When you plot Ca/Mg
vs. Fe/(Fe+Mg), you can easily recognize that the achondrites divide
themselves into distinct groups with clearly discernible gaps between
the aubrites, the diogenites, the howardites, the eucrites, etc.

Best wishes,

Bernd