[meteorite-list] Re: SCAMS from Morocco

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Dear Nick and List:

Sorry to hear about your import troubles, Nick.

I did learn an interesting historical tidbit about Morocco recently,
pretty much O.T. as far as meteorites are concerned, but I found it
intriguing, and -- who knows? -- perhaps it will be of use to some
U.S. meteorite trader/dealer at some point.

I quote this from a letter by William Bryk, of Manhattan, printed in
last week's "New York Press":

" . . . through some bizarre accident, His Majesty the Sultan [of
Morocco] recognized the United States in 1777; we have enjoyed
diplomatic relations with Morocco for longer than any other nation."

Mr. Bryk then went on to include an obituary for a friend of his who
had been a director of the American Legation Museum in Tangier,
Morocco -- an establishment which had been set up, I gather, to honor
and commemorate the long-standing diplomatic ties between the U.S.
and Morocco. He also commented (evidently sarcastically) that, "The
museum, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with the Central
Intelligence Agency."

I imagine Mr. Boukadi isn't too concerned about doing his part to
maintain these supposedly good relations between the U.S. and Morocco.

Sincerely,

Geoff N.

Geoffrey Notkin
Senior Art Director
Stanegate Studios/Notkin.net
P.O. Box 87, Jersey City, NJ 07303

Telephone: (201) 435-8888
Fax: (201) 946-1199

Email: geoking_at_notkin.net ammonite@aol.com
Web: www.notkin.net

A paleontologist has more cause than most to reflect upon time: its
measurement, its span, and its consequences.

  -- Richard Fortey