[meteorite-list] OT: Budget Rental

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Hi Mike,

> I just want to warn people NOT to rent a car in Morocco! I rented from
Budget,
> an American company, they ripped me off for several thousand dollars, I
had to
> cancel all of my credit cards to stop the charges from coming in. They
said we
> totally destroyed the truck, although I have the receipt showing turned in
with
> full tank of gas and all was well. This was in Marrakech.

The Budget Rent-a-Car fiasco you describe is not unique to
Morocco. They are a crooked outfit to the core domestically
as well. They tried to pull the same stunt on me for a
rented car in Washington, D.C. The car was returned in
pristine condition. A month later I got a huge charge on
my American Express bill claiming damage -- the type of
damage that a car would sustain in a fatal crash. After
many phone calls, faxes and letters, AmEx sorted it out.
I have never used Budget since, and I've warned all my
friends and colleagues to avoid them at all costs.

Cheers,
Rob