[meteorite-list] Dhofar Lunaites

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:31 2004

--part1_e.97db79d.27cf1e0c_boundary

In a message dated 2/28/01 1:44:23 PM Central Standard Time, GShanos_at_aol.com=
=20
writes:

>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Dear List Members:=20
>=20
> What is the official word? =A0Are all the Dhofar's 025, 026 an 081 paired?=
 =A0=A0
> Look forward to hearing from everyone.=20
>=20
> Sincerely=20
> Greg Shanos=20

Hello Greg,

I have both he 025 and the 026 for sale and there is nothing remotely simila=
r=20
to them.

With the Dhofar specimens, there is honest reporting of all the details of=20
the find; such as the date of find, exact longitude and latitude of the=20
finds, accurate TKW info and the like. =A0Also, these specimens have been fo=
und=20
by professional meteorite hunters and not simply gathered by nomads and then=
=20
run through a system of handlers before brought to market like most of the=20
NWA specimens. =A0This is not to be meant as a "slam" against the NWA's; I h=
ave=20
sold a few NWA's myself and I will sell more in the future, it is simply a=20
statement of fact. =A0

I think Mike Farmer has been the most open about explaining the state of=20
meteorite affairs in Morocco. =A0It is important to know however, the Dhofar=
=20
situation is far from like that. =A0

While much of a meteorite's value should stand on what type of a meteorite i=
t=20
is, not based on the exact location where it was found; one very important=20
consideration in determining a potential value is the Total Known Weight=20
found. =A0It might be easy to figure out that all (or at least most all) of=20=
the=20
EH3 specimen found in the Sahara will (or should be) paired, it is next to=20
impossible to know if your Saharan H5 specimen is one of a a thousand stones=
=20
from one fall, or if it might be the entire mass of a fall. =A0Or you might=20=
not=20
know if next week a new fragment for the same fall of your new achondrite=20
might increase the TKW by 10 fold.

Thoughts to consider.

As to the details of your specific question about pairing, you can find a lo=
t=20
of great information at Washington University's site here:

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/moon_meteorites.html

I hope this helps.

Steve

Steve Arnold

--part1_e.97db79d.27cf1e0c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2>
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 2/28/01 1:44:23 PM Central Standard Time, GShanos_at_aol=
.com=20
<BR>writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-=
LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><I>
<BR></I>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Dear List Members:=20
<BR>
<BR>What is the official word? =A0Are all the Dhofar's 025, 026 an 081 paire=
d? =A0=A0
<BR>Look forward to hearing from everyone.=20
<BR>
<BR>Sincerely=20
<BR>Greg Shanos </FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF=
" FACE=3D"arial" LANG=3D"0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Ar=
ial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR>Hello Greg,
<BR>
<BR>I have both he 025 and the 026 for sale and there is nothing remotely si=
milar=20
<BR>to them.
<BR>
<BR>With the Dhofar specimens, there is honest reporting of all the details=20=
of=20
<BR>the find; such as the date of find, exact longitude and latitude of the=20
<BR>finds, accurate TKW info and the like. =A0Also, these specimens have bee=
n found=20
<BR>by professional meteorite hunters and not simply gathered by nomads and=20=
then=20
<BR>run through a system of handlers before brought to market like most of t=
he=20
<BR>NWA specimens. =A0This is not to be meant as a "slam" against the NWA's;=
 I have=20
<BR>sold a few NWA's myself and I will sell more in the future, it is simply=
 a=20
<BR>statement of fact. =A0
<BR>
<BR>I think Mike Farmer has been the most open about explaining the state of=
=20
<BR>meteorite affairs in Morocco. =A0It is important to know however, the Dh=
ofar=20
<BR>situation is far from like that. =A0
<BR>
<BR>While much of a meteorite's value should stand on what type of a meteori=
te it=20
<BR>is, not based on the exact location where it was found; one very importa=
nt=20
<BR>consideration in determining a potential value is the Total Known Weight=
=20
<BR>found. =A0It might be easy to figure out that all (or at least most all)=
 of the=20
<BR>EH3 specimen found in the Sahara will (or should be) paired, it is next=20=
to=20
<BR>impossible to know if your Saharan H5 specimen is one of a a thousand st=
ones=20
<BR>from one fall, or if it might be the entire mass of a fall. =A0Or you mi=
ght not=20
<BR>know if next week a new fragment for the same fall of your new achondrit=
e=20
<BR>might increase the TKW by 10 fold.
<BR>
<BR>Thoughts to consider.
<BR>
<BR>As to the details of your specific question about pairing, you can find=20=
a lot=20
<BR>of great information at Washington University's site here:
<BR>
<BR>http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/moon_meteorites.html
<BR>
<BR>I hope this helps.