[meteorite-list] Telescope Advice - Brainstorming

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:53 2004

Art wrote:

> Got a beautiful Bushnell 675X4.5 inch telescope for Christmas.
> It was quite a thrill since I've longed to own a telescope
> since childhood.

Hi Art,

Congratulations and do enjoy your first steps - They are the most
thrilling experience that you will remember for the rest of your life!

> As this is all so new to me, I would appreciate any advice,
> tips, etc. that will enable me to get the most out of my scope.

Accurately align your scope toward the celestial pole so that you can
track those beautiful celestial objects over a considerable period of
time.

Give your telescope enough time to adapt to the temperatures outside -
especially in winter. If you don't, you will only see "dancing" stars
and planets.

Use medium power eyepieces instead of high power magnifications. Less is
more here because you will always magnify turbulences in our atmosphere
when you use high power oculars. High power will also make focusing much
more difficult.

First adapt your eyes to night vision which will take about 20 minutes.
Then, and only then, will your eyes see faint details. Avoid the glare
of streetlights and use a red flash light because red light does not
spoil your night vision.

Use "averted vision" when trying to spot faint objects like galaxies or
planetary nebulae. In other words, don't look at the object directly,
but a bit away from it. A lot of faint details will suddenly pop into
view because your eyes are more sensitive when you do not look at
objects directly.

> I should be able to see Saturn's rings, right?

Absolutely right!

> When I do, I know it's gonna knock my socks off.

You have my word on that!!!

... and don't forget Jupiter's zones and bands, and those beautiful
double stars, and all those craters on the Moon, and the crescent
shape of Venus, and the eerie greenish hue of Uranus, and the
glittering diamonds of open and globular clusters, and, and, ... :-)

Happy observing hours,
and good night because
it's very late here
or very early because