[meteorite-list] Telescope

From: Deborah Martin <dak_mar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:53 2004

--=====================_3850707==_.ALT

Art,

Congratulations on your new acquisition (I'm hoping for a NexStar 8 myself).
First advice: make sure your mount and tripod are rock solid. Many beginners
go off astronomy because the telescope is wobbly and they can't see anything
with it.

A word of caution; I noticed you wrote "675X4.5 inch". I presume this means
the company claims you can magnify up to 675 times. First of all,
magnification is the *least* important attribute of a telescope. The size and
quality of the primary mirror, a good collimation, sturdy mount are the things
you should look for. Second, the rule of thumb in astronomy is a *maximum* of
50X per inch of mirror. In your case, this translates to 225X. Anything
beyond that will give you mediocre, distorted images.

I hope this helps. Enjoy exploring the nightsky.

Posted and emailed

Andre Bordeleau

At 07:01 PM 03/01/01 -0500, you wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Got a beautiful Bushnell 675X4.5 inch telescope for Christmas. It was
> quite a thrill since I've longed to own a telescope since childhood.
>
> As this is all so new to me, I would appreciate any advice, tips, etc.
> that will enable me to get the most out of my scope.
>
> I'm sure I won't be discovering any new planets anytime soon, but I
should be

> able to see Saturn's rings, right? When I do, I know it's gonna knock my
> socks off.
>
> Hope to hear from some of you (list postings will be fine, because I'm
> sure others will benefit, too) astronomers and novices, alike. Thanks, Art
> Scarselli.

--=====================_3850707==_.ALT

Art,<br>
Congratulations on your new acquisition (I'm hoping for a NexStar 8
myself).&nbsp; First advice: make sure your mount and tripod are rock
solid.&nbsp; Many beginners go off astronomy because the telescope is
wobbly and they can't see anything with it.<br>
A word of caution; I noticed you wrote &quot;675X4.5 inch&quot;.&nbsp; I
presume this means the company claims you can magnify up to 675
times.&nbsp; First of all, magnification is the *least* important
attribute of a telescope.&nbsp; The size and quality of the primary
mirror, a good collimation, sturdy mount are the things you should look
for.&nbsp; Second, the rule of thumb in astronomy is a *maximum* of 50X
per inch of mirror.&nbsp; In your case, this translates to 225X.&nbsp;
Anything beyond that will give you mediocre, distorted images.<br>
I hope this helps.&nbsp; Enjoy exploring the nightsky.<br>
Posted and emailed<br>
Andre Bordeleau<br>
At 07:01 PM 03/01/01 -0500, you wrote: <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Got a beautiful Bushnell 675X4.5 inch telescope for
Christmas.&nbsp; It was <br>
quite a thrill since I've longed to own a telescope since childhood.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As this is all so new to me, I would appreciate any
advice, tips, etc. <br>
that will enable me to get the most out of my scope. <br>
I'm sure I won't be discovering any new planets anytime soon, but I
should be <br>
able to see Saturn's rings, right?&nbsp; When I do, I know it's gonna
knock my <br>
socks off. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hope to hear from some of you (list postings will be
fine, because I'm <br>
sure others will benefit, too) astronomers and novices, alike.&nbsp;
Thanks, Art <br>