[meteorite-list] Ad - LUNAR Thin Section sale

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:56 2004

Greetings fellow meteorite lovers,
        This offering is for one very unique opportunity: I am having
(a)thin section(s) made from a fabulous specimen of DaG 400, the
Lunar meteorite with impact melt breccias and other fascinating
constituents.
        Of course, the cost of the material and the limited number
of thin sections possible (probably 2) will make this the rarest of
all thin sections. (I am not aware of ANY existing in private
collections)
However, I am NOT making it small in an attempt to save cost. While
exceptionally limited in number, it/they will be of SUBSTANTIAL size
in viewing area, affording a full range of the variation in
constituents.
        SEE PHOTO VIA CLICK-TO URL:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=488560&a=10780631&p=37160109

        Educators can borrow a lunar thin section from NASA - and
we on the list have seen a photo of same - VERY IMPRESSIVE! Here is your
chance to actually own one for your own collection. Pre-made price:
$3,500.
Limit: 2. Time line: Approximately 3 weeks to delivery.
        Due to exceptionally limited number, It is suggested you order
IMMEDIATELY if interested. SPECIFY WHETHER YOU WANT A COVER SLIP.
(many scientific tests, such as scanning with an electron microscope,
 are not possible with a cover slip)
        (Since this is not my material, no trade or part trade is
possible)
                                - DAG 400 -
DaG 400 is classified as Lunar Anorthositic breccia.
              Fresh surfaces of the meteorite interior are gray to dark
gray; matrix is well consolidated; clasts include subophitic and
fine-grained to microporphyritic impact-melt breccias, granulitic
fragments, intergranularly recrystallized anorthosites, and mineral
fragments; chemical and O isotope composition is characteristic
of lunar highland meteorites.
(Classification and description by J. Zipfel, Max Planck Institute)