[meteorite-list] re :Lunar Eclipse

From: STUARTATK_at_aol.com <STUARTATK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:57 2004

Hi All,

Glad to say the weather here in the north of England was *perfect* for
tonite's lunar eclipse. With my astro society I'd organised a public eclipse
watch, and through almost a dozen different telescopes we showed over 150
people the Moon turn a beautiful shade of orange... it was a real
frost-party, with adults just as excited as the kids... an 8" scope showed
amazing views of Jupiter's clouds and moons, and Saturn's rings too... :-)

Handed rond a meteorite, which went down very well, and then at 8.20pm
everything seened to pause: the Moon was a Mars-coloured globe shining above
the 12th C castle which dominates the skyline here in Cockermouth, and
everyone was just staring skywards in amazement. I was re-aligning my 3"
scope, after it had been kicked by a blundering adult, when I felt a tug on
my jacket. Looked around, and down, and there was a puzzled-looking little
girl.

"Why did someone turn the Moon off?" she asked me innocently.

You don't get many nights like this. :-)

Regards,

Stu