[meteorite-list] NWA Meteorites

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:02 2004

--------------AA3FF6CCF1AF09DF12DDA95A

People could do that, yes. But a good dealer could spot some signs of
possible desert origin. It comes down to honesty. If a dealer were to do
this, I think it would destroy his reputation in my mind for good. Trust
is crucial to meteorite dealing, and mistakes can happen, people can be
lied to and pass something on without knowledge or nay wrongdoing, but
to deliberately pull such a scam would be about the worst thing a dealer
could do.
Mike Farmer

Jamie Ekholm wrote:

> I have been reading entries to the Meteorite Mailing List and a
> question came to me regarding these Moroccan meteorites that people
> have been talking about. This may be a "stupid" question, but here
> goes anyways. What is stopping someone from purchasing one of these
> meteorites (I understand most have not even been looked at or
> classified), and then sitting it outside to weather at that persons
> location for a year or so, or burying it in soil for the same time
> frame. They could call a meteorite dealer and say "I found this odd
> looking rock while taking a walk out in the woods" or "I was digging
> through a farmers rock pile and came across this strange rock." This
> person could give the area it was found (general coordinates) etc. A
> find from a known location seems to bring a higher price, even if the
> meteorite is weathered. They could buy one of these meteorites at
> $0.50 cents a gram and possibly sell it to a dealer for much
> more. What do you think about this? Are there ways to prevent this
> from happening? Thanks, Jamie

--------------AA3FF6CCF1AF09DF12DDA95A

People could do that, yes. But a good dealer could spot some signs of possible
desert origin. It comes down to honesty. If a dealer were to do this, I
think it would destroy his reputation in my mind for good. Trust is crucial
to meteorite dealing, and mistakes can happen, people can be lied to and
pass something on without knowledge or nay wrongdoing, but to deliberately
pull such a scam would be about the worst thing a dealer could do.
entries to the Meteorite Mailing List and a question came to me regarding
these Moroccan meteorites that people have been talking about.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>This
may be a "stupid" question, but here goes anyways.&nbsp; What is stopping
someone from purchasing one of these meteorites (I understand most have
not even been looked at or classified), and then sitting it outside to
weather at that persons location for a year or so, or burying it in soil
for the same time frame.&nbsp; They could call a meteorite dealer and say
"I found this odd looking rock while taking a walk out in the woods" or
"I was digging through a farmers rock pile and came across this strange
rock."</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>This person could give the area it was
found (general coordinates) etc.&nbsp; A find from a known location seems
to bring a higher price, even if the meteorite is weathered.&nbsp; They
could buy one of these meteorites at $0.50 cents a gram and possibly sell
it to a dealer for much more.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>What do you think