[meteorite-list] Zaklodzie and Itqy

From: Dolores Hill <dhill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:02 2004

Hello Rhett,

Itqiy was classified here at the Lunar & Planetary Lab. by Andrea Patzer
and me. We and Rainer Bartoschewitz, who did the classification of Zaklodzie,
wondered the same thing. However, there are significant differences between
them. Both contain enstatite and similar amounts of bulk metal. While both
were referred to as having recrystallized textures, they are not the same.
Itqiy contains kamacite only (no taenite), mixed manganese-magnesium-iron-
sulfur phases, but no plagioclase, or other, more common sulfides found in
enstatite (chondrites). Although the official, approved classification for
both is "ungrouped enstatite meteorite", there may or may not be any chemical
relationship between them. They happen to be placed into the "ungrouped"
category because each is unique and their relationship to other enstatite
meteorites is not yet determined. Ungrouped meteorites generally do not have
"type" specimens unless enough new specimens are found to warrant a new
group classification. (Jeff Grossman can address that issue much better than
I can).

-Dolores Hill
 University of Arizona