[meteorite-list] NWA and Saharan Specimens My 2 Cents.......

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:03 2004

Good post...

One thing to add:

Steven said:
"If the NWA's and Saharans are cut and
polished, I would rather see 40 of those specimens in the hands of 40
children, holding them and looking at a piece of outer space, than to have
one expensive piece, sitting behind a piece of plexiglass. Sure it would be
nice if every NWA was classified. But one shouldn't forget that to a child,
getting them to hold a meteorite, even an unclassified one, is the beginning
of the educational process."

I hold ALL of my meteorites, regardless of price. I stare at some much
longer than others, Zagami, L'Aigle, even DaG 262, but especially the old
witnessed falls with gorgeous fresh fusion crust. Chances are those Sah's
and NWAs would be behind glass with the rest of em. No, actually they would
probably be rotting in the back storage rather than "in the hands" of kids.
Poor curation sickens me even more than behind glass. I've seen it alot, but
there are some super curators out there, you know who you are (Monica, Art,
Carleton...)

Anyway.
Matt Morgan