[meteorite-list] Tektite surface morphology

From: Murakami Josesh <murakamij004_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:06 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C087E7.5710FC60

Hey gang,

Nothing too profound, but a puzzle in my mind...

I just wanted to ask what the group thought of Mike Blood's 'stretch' =
tektite?? =20

I've become convinced in my mind that w/ regards to the surface =
morphology of tektites, that the wonderful deep scoriations and other =
worm-like burrowing features seen on our tektites are due to acid =
etching changes that occur over a number of years either submerged in =
water or in contact w/ soil acids, etc. =20

The 'hedgehog' moldavites seem to show stages of dessolution from rather =
featureless blobs all the way to deeply etched hedgehogs. (I can't =
figure how chemical etching resulted in some of the deep worm burrows =
that dive deep into the core of some of the moldavites I have...)

Seeing some of the Columbianites (sic) on Ebay showed surface features =
indistinguishable from those seen on our common Indochinite tektites, =
affirming in my mind, at least until seeing Mike's 'stretch' specimen, =
that even volcanic glass under the influence of burial and submergence =
might 'erode' or etch in a typically 'tektitic' manner.

Also thought that the wonderfully circumsectioned Rizalites were the =
product of 'natural chemical etching.'

I think someone alluded previously to some experiments someone did w/ =
phosporic acid or nitric acid or such w/ reproduction of the etched =
pattern on some Indochinites.

And yet, a casual inspection of Mike's stretch tektites would suggest =
that at a taffy-soft stage, that some tektites might be exposed to =
bending and stretching forces that pull apart the primarily solidified =
crust.... Then why doesn't the taffy-pull section show the type of =
chemical etching that the rest of the tektite specimen's crust show??=20

Beats me...

Joseph=20
Honolulu

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C087E7.5710FC60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey gang,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Nothing too profound, but a puzzle in =
my=20
mind...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just wanted to ask what the group =
thought of Mike=20
Blood's 'stretch' tektite??&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've become convinced in my mind that =
w/ regards to=20
the surface morphology of tektites, that the wonderful deep scoriations =
and=20
other worm-like burrowing features seen on our tektites are due to acid =
etching=20
changes that occur over a number of years either submerged in water or =
in=20
contact w/ soil acids, etc.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The 'hedgehog' moldavites seem to show =
stages of=20
dessolution from rather featureless blobs all the way to deeply etched=20
hedgehogs.&nbsp; (I can't figure how chemical etching resulted in some =
of the=20
deep worm burrows that dive deep into the core of some of the moldavites =
I=20
have...)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Seeing some of the Columbianites (sic) =
on&nbsp;=20
Ebay showed surface features indistinguishable from those seen on our =
common=20
Indochinite tektites, affirming in my mind, at least until seeing Mike's =

'stretch' specimen, that even volcanic glass under the influence of =
burial and=20
submergence might 'erode' or etch in a typically 'tektitic' =
manner.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also thought that the wonderfully =
circumsectioned=20
Rizalites were the product of 'natural chemical etching.'</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think someone alluded previously to =
some=20
experiments someone did w/ phosporic acid or nitric acid or such w/ =
reproduction=20
of the etched pattern on some Indochinites.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And yet, a casual inspection of Mike's =
stretch=20
tektites would suggest that at a taffy-soft stage, that some tektites =
might be=20
exposed to bending and stretching forces that pull apart the primarily=20
solidified crust....&nbsp;&nbsp; Then why doesn't the taffy-pull section =
show=20
the type of chemical etching that the rest of the tektite specimen's =
crust=20
show?? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Beats me...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>Joseph =
<BR>Honolulu</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C087E7.5710FC60--