[meteorite-list] Mercury?

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:28 2004

Could it be possible that their orbits have been altered somehow? I don't
really know enough in this area to make an educated guess and I could VERY
easily be wrong but wouldn't that be at least a remote possibility?
Also, in McSween's "Meteorites and Their Parent Planets" he talks about 16
Psyche being a parent body for E4 meteorites. He makes no distinction
between EL4's and EH4's. There is a picture of the the graph that he uses
on my website in an article that I wrote about meteorite parent bodies for
my local astronomy club's news paper should anyone wish to view it
http://www.asteroidmodels.com/personal/Articles/parentbodies.htm
I'm wondering how different the spectral data would be between an El4 and an
EH4. I doubt that both types of meteorites came from the same parent body
(just as I doubt that H4's come from the same asteroid that L4's come from).
It would be interesting to see the differences between the two as well as
which one most closely matches the data from 16 Psyche. If an EL4 would
match more closely to 16 Psyche then it would still be possible that Abee as
well as the other EH4's could still come from another asteroid out there
that no one has spotted yet.
Warmest regards,

Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com