[meteorite-list] Mercury?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:28 2004

The oxygen isotope ratios in the E chondrites indicate they formed inside of Earth's orbit.
Since the Mercury and Venus are the only bodies inside of Earth's orbit, some scientists
have speculated that perhaps the parent body of the E chondrites are Mercury or Venus. It is
far from conclusive, however.

> I just read in Sky and Tel that the Abee Meteorite has been spectroscopically paired to asteroid 16 Psyche (sp).

That would be evidence that the E chondrites are not from Mercury or Venus, unless
there is all some specrta matches between E chondrites and Mercury or Venus.

> Does anyone know the orbit of this body?

Asteroid 16 Psyche is a main belt asteroid, you can view its orbit on this page I've setup:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db?name=16

Ron Baalke