[meteorite-list] thin sections

From: James Tobin <jimmypaul_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Hello list,
I have read with great interest the posts on thin sections over the last few
days, I thought maybe someone else would post about this so I would not have
to type. Still recovering from shoulder surgery.
Most thin section manufacturers for only about a dollar extra can attached
the cover slips with a removable thermoplastic adhesive. You can have the
protection and the availability of the polished surface for further analysis
at a later time.
Paul and I routinely have thins made and get polished for micro probe work
and covered for microscopy work. We have not thus far had a problem with
rusting of the polished uncovered thins. But that is not to say we may not
over the coming years.
Best Regards,
Jim Tobin
jim_at_meteorite.com