[meteorite-list] Thin Sections rusting/tests

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Hi Michael,

thanks for a very interesting post. As a thin section lover for many
years I am pleased with the fact that much more sources are available
now as compared to even the recent past. This is a fascinating addition
and complement to any "hard-rock-collection" of meteorites.

Regarding the cover/non-cover discussion I would favor Frank Cressy`s
argument - a pro for the cover-slips (at least for the more common
material). Thin sections now available for public sale are mainly aimed
at the private collectors, who may at best have microscopes with a
polarizing filters device, but only very rarely (well, there may be a
few exceptions we all can think of) will have the very sophisticated lab
equipment used in the mineral departments of universities or other
professional institutes. Yes, cover-slips may prevent some of the more
professional work on thin sections to be done, but it won´t at all
prevent the delight that you can experience when viewing them in between
crossed polars. It will probably additionally help to seal against rust,
and it will surely be a good way to protect against damage done by often
moving the slide from the storage boxes to the scope stage and vice
versa. And, regarding the rare stuff: this is likely to be documented in
a somewhat faster process all the way from the initial research lab
through the NomCom to the researchers again as compared to the more
ordinary material, and there will probably be "enough" non-cover-slides
be available for the more detailed analysis following, which in almost
all cases can´t be made by private collectors.

Alex

--
 Alexander Seidel  | Home position on planet Earth: |