[meteorite-list] Editorial

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

That is not quite what was written. What was said was that "there are
stories circulating that if the supply ... becomes too slim ... dealers
order ... from elsewhere in the world ... resell at ... markups." The
article continues to state that a meteorite is more valuable (to science) if
its location is known (as mentioned in Bob's post).

A "circulating story" is no more that a circulating story. And, Bob, you
are correct, if the NWA's are the least expensive, where would the others be
coming from? There are one or two incidents where a Campo was purchased at
Tucson and an attempt was made to resell it in Morocco, but that was
promptly put down as the scam it was (to the credit of Messrs. Farmer and
Cottingham who had "sharp eyes" and even sharper minds!

I must say that with all the debating on this list regarding location, I see
very little (if any) input on this list, or elsewhere in print, from the
researchers who are the primary individuals for whom this matter should have
(scientific) importance. I was pleased to see this discussed in Dr.
Cassidy's editorial.

Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com