[meteorite-list] ureilite / no venus connection

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Hello again,

The Ureilites contain over forty different finds/falls making it the second largest
achondrite group.
This doesn't fit too well in the modeling of the number of Venus like objects we might
expect to find here (though I don't think I agree with modeling too well). The oxygen
isotope mixing line is what is typically found in and characteristic of unprocessed
nebular materials. There is also trapped nobel gasses in abundance similar to the
carbonaceous chondrites and the presence of carbon and the oxygen isotope composition
of these meteorites suggest a link with carbonaceous chondrites. The
age of these meteorites are 4.5 billion (for the olivine and pyroxene) but some
radiogenic isotopes
were redistributed at 4.0 billion. Seeing how Venus is a very dynamic planet even to
this day it
doesn't seem to fit the bill very well at all. I will say that these are one of the
more bizarre and perplexing of all meteorites and there is much to find out yet. Best!

--AL