[meteorite-list] Powellsville Meteorite Question

From: Allen Shaw <allenshaw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

During my second round of house to house search of the area, I encountered a
possible witness to the fall of Powellsville. I believe his last name was
Jenkins, and he told to me his eye-witnessed account that occured ~ 1926(he
was 8). It was harvest season and after a long day in the fields, his
father, himself and his three older brothers were driving home when behind
them, flared a green glow as bright as a "welders torch". By the time they
reacted to the light it died out and only a distant rumble that gradually
elevated to a ground vibrating thunder, then about three loud "pops" (as he
called them) occured and all was quiet. He himself never found anything nor
did anyone he knew, but it did occupy the majority of the conversations the
following day.
I have to believe that he did infact witness the entry of the bolide. I also
encountered an elderly eyewitness of the Faucett, Mo. meteorite, and the
son of the witness described by Nininger of the Archie fall. The ~2kilo
oriented full fusion crusted stone could not be pried from the sentimental
bond of that household. This family was quite aggressive and refused my
efforts to shoot photos of the meteorite.
      --- Allen.