[meteorite-list] Funny but sad meteor crater comment..

From: trandall_at_idsi.net <trandall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:31 2004

  Hi Gang,
   I saw this post on sci.astro.amateur today and thought it was worth sharing:

  "Six miles south of Interstate 40 and about 40 miles east of Flagstaff is
the famous Meteor Crater. While passing over it aboard a recent
commercial flight, our club president was happy to hear the captain
alert the cabin to the crater, even describing its dimensions and a bit
about the impacting body. The announcement renewed his faith in
scientific literacy of the general public. This was quickly canceled by
a serious comment from one of the passengers: "It just missed the
highway!""

  One reply to that post was pretty funny:

"Geez, forget the highway... it almost took out the visitor center!! ;)"

Regards,
Tom

Tom Randall -- tprandall_at_idsi.net (Remove the "P" to e-mail me)
Amateur Radio: KB2SMS (Grid FN31) - ARRL / 10-10 / QRP-L #1965
Look for me on PSK31 on 14.069.5 and 28.119.5

Member: AAVSO Solar Division

My Astronomy/Ham radio site: http://www.idsi.net/~trandall/welcome.html