[meteorite-list] Re: tektite crater?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:32 2004

I also address this point in my response to Kelly in "Tektites II" which is awaiting approval from the list moderator (62,000 bytes when the limit is 40,000). In short, Kelly mentions Dr. Wasson theory that there were multiples of Mega Tunguska events. I think in light of Shoemaker Levy and the nature of some comets that are apparently very fragile, this could be as you outline below, the mechanics as to how tektites formed. Though a bit complicated, it could be the case. As for the composition of tektites themselves, some point out that they have compositions that are not like terrestrial rocks, others say they do. But in thinking about this problem-- what if they are more akin to the silicate dust grains that *might* exist in comets. And from the perspective of these dust grains how is the water ice and gas ice mixed. It is a homogeneous mixture, or is it a crystalline assemblage with the silicate grains intersparsed throughout?
And when the cometary mass(s) enter the Earth's atmosphere is the gas and water ices sufficiently tranparent to allow the intense infra-red radiation to penetrate down into it thus augmenting disruption leading to the comet's demise in a Mega Tunguska event, rather than striking the ground as Kelly proposes as an argument against my comet-explosion theory? I think the key to resolving the tektite dilemma is to have a comet sample return mission. Comets are the most likely candidates for tektites, and my hunch is that the silicate material that is in comets will coincide with the bulk material that we find in tektites. In other words, it could be that tektites are the residues left over when a comet disrupts on the Earth in a Mega Tunguska event. The ice and gasses are gone, incorporated into our oceans, and air, but the tektites are the silicates that have been vaporized in the event-- recondensed, and now present on the Earth's surface to puzzle us