FW: [meteorite-list] Re: tektite crater?

From: Susan Starke <sastarke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:32 2004

Please don't trounce the ignorant BUT i do have a suggestion...

I have only once seen what looked like a smoke trail & not a vapour trail of
an object skimming the atmosphere. This is what got me thinking that
whatever it was must have lost some matter when making contact (swiping) our
atmosphere.

I would humbly suggest that there need be no impact crater or any other
suggestion of a meteorite if the heat generated by a meteor hitting the
atmosphere leaves pieces of molten matter in it's trail/wake. Surely, the
force of the "collision" would push this debris into our atmosphere? Would
the tektite shapes not be created when these lumps of molten glass free fall
through our atmosphere? Are tektites & (some/all?) fusion crusts not
identical in composition? Would this not account for the lack of water &
purity of glass in tektites?
Regards,
Brave Susan;-)