[meteorite-list] Small Fireball July 13th

From: Roman <Roman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:32 2004

Just a quick note.

This past weekend at our trailer on Rice Lake,
my wife Lori and I saw our first small fire ball.
This happened at 11:00 pm on July 13th. We were
standing around the fire with friends when Lori looked up
and mumbled "oh my god, look" we all saw the last 6 seconds
of a very bright meteor that was fragmenting in flight. The colour
was mostly white and a bit bluish. No noise, no smoke train that
I could see, but very beautiful. It then burned out, dark flight is
possible.

It was travelling from South to North right towards Peterborough.
We were on the North West corner of Rice Lake just north of Bewdley.
I estimate the angle from the ground up to be around 65 to 70 degrees
East of my position.

Rice Lake is located about an hour and half drive East of Toronto, North
of Port Hope. The next day, we found out a few others in the park also
witnessed this event. A few meteorite discussions followed.

It was a site we will never forget.
Best regards,
Roman Jirasek