[meteorite-list] Question/Concern

From: Nick Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:33 2004

Hi Steve,

There is a clear distinction between FALLS (witnessed descending from the
sky) and FINDS (simply found some time after). It is generally felt that
the statistics on the distribution of different types among the FALLS is a
fairly accurate reflection of the true meteorite "flux" arriving on the
planet. The distribution of different types among the FINDS is largely a
function of field recovery activity what is "recognized" as a meteorite in
the field.

While it is true that an enormous percentage of NWA and other ordinary
chondrites will probably NOT be classified whereas a large percentage of
"uncommon" NWA meteorites will probably BE classified, this bias will
appear largely among the statistic of FINDS.

I think that most FALLS, since they are witnessed and quickly become
newsworthy items of public attention and discussion, WILL be classified and
named.

As a result, the FALLS figures will still be fairly close to the meteorite
flux even though the FINDS figures will be even more skewed as a result of
the these quantities of NWA and similar meteorites.

If future generations look back on the archives of the Meteorite-List, I'm
sure they will figure out what happened.

Cheers,
Nick