[meteorite-list] Possible Fall Area For Pennsylvania Bolide

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:35 2004

Hi Ron and List,

> Here's a home page that maps several of the fireball sightings,
> which all triangulate to a possible fall area:

> http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/fireball_log.html

> If there is a meteorite, then it looks it will have
> landed in the northern part of Pennsylvania, near
> the Pennsylvania-New York border.

I saw the graphic last night -- it's nice, but I disagree
with their conclusions. Early yesterday afternoon, thanks
to FIDAC, I had already narrowed down the three counties
where meteorites (if any) are likely to be found. I sent
a reply to a Meteorite-Central member yesterday which said,
in part, "I would initially confine my search for meteorites
to southeast Allegany and southwest- to southcentral-Steuben
counties in New York, and northern Tioga County in PA. First
place I'd go is Woodhull, NY to look for eyewitnesses or
earwitnesses. Depending on what they said, I'd check Elkland,
PA right on the NY border (where sonic booms were definitely
heard)."

Given the flat trajectory and the closeness to the PA/NY
border, I wouldn't be surprised if meteorites eventually
turn up in both states. Go get 'em gang! If I wasn't so
busy at work in addition to writing a paper for a journal,
I'd be there already.

Cheers,
Rob