[meteorite-list] Meteor Spotted Over New Zealand

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:35 2004

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,860977a2022,FF.html

Meteorite spotted in South Canterbury
By JANINE BURGESS
South Cantebury, New Zealand
July 12, 2001

Janine Young wasn't too sure what it was she saw flying across the sky at
Orari on Wednesday morning [July 11] but reports have confirmed it was in fact a
meteorite.

At about 7.40am she saw the glowing object with a long tail flying past the
house running parallel to the ground.

"For a start I thought it was a shooting star but then it broke up like
fireworks into five or six offshoots - I really wasn't sure what it was."

A spokesperson for the Mt John Observatory said they had a number of calls
from people who had seen the object but they were not able to confirm what
it was.

A spokesperson for the Carter Observatory in Wellington confirmed the
sighting was more than likely a meteorite but said by the time it broke up
and hit the earth there would have been little remaining.