[meteorite-list] New additions to the Global Collection!

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:35 2004

Hi All,

I needed another project like I needed a hole in my head, but anyway, I did
some work with the Global Collection of Meteorites.

I was surprised by the information provided to me by Dr. Martti Lehtinen,
curator of the University of Helsinki Mineralogical Museum regarding some
old specimen cards that came with a meteorite. You can view the cards and
the information at the URL:

http://aristotle.isu.edu/metcards.htm

Anyway, I thought that the global community could put their collective minds
together and provide information about specimen cards and the history of
their origin. I was primarily interested in information about the cards that
are from 1995 and before. I have piles of cards from dealers and collectors
who joined the meteorite crowd after 1995, and those can wait until later.
It is the older or historic cards that we are loosing the information as
people pass on to other endeavors.

I also realized that there was a need for some organized listing of the
types of specimen numbers painted on meteorites. While I am still unsure how
to organize such a list, I have started a photographic database of specimen
numbers to help people trace the history of their specimens, as well as
record information about the collections the specimens passed through during
their journey through time. This area of the Global Collection is found
under Identification Numbers. This area is still in its infancy. When I find
more time, I will photograph more of my own specimens to get things going. I
also plan on making links between specimen cards and specimen numbers. It
would also be nice to know which collections overlap like Nininger and ASU
or Leonard and UCLA.

If you have any images you believe would contribute to the Global
Collection, please read the submission guidelines for the details. Also, at
the moment, most of the descriptions are thin. If you know more about the
history of a collection or dealer-or you own that collection or are that
dealer, please provide me the information. I would be happy to make links to
websites (collections and dealers) in order to offer much more information
that will fit in the little boxes I allocated to each listing.

Happy viewing!

Martin

The Global Collection of Meteorites
http://aristotle.isu.edu/global_collection/gc_index.htm