[meteorite-list] What's the highest meteorite ever found?

From: Oscar Alfredo Turone <oaturone_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:35 2004

With respect to the Palca de Aparzo, when I informed this meteorite I took
the coordinates corresponding to the farm of the peasant who found it
(23º7'S, 65º6'W). According to his first testimony he found the pieces "in
the proximities". So I named the meteorite with the name of the nearest
city: Palca de Aparzo.
On january 1996 we visited the zone because, according to some witnesses,
there is much more material there. Guided by the peasant we reached the
zone of the fall, located about 20 km at the NW of the first informed site.
Although we did not have a GPS we estimated the height would be 4.850/4.900
m because we were in the proximity of Cerro Fraile. Due to a strong storm,
that "flew" our tent, we had to leave the place without positive results.

Oscar A. Turone
Asociación Hatum Pampa (meteorites)
Pizarro 5672
(1440) Buenos Aires