[meteorite-list] Smallest oriented stone meteorite?

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:11 2004

In a message dated 08/06/01 05:46:23 GMT Daylight Time, martinh_at_isu.edu
writes:

<< I am wondering what the smallest known oriented stone meteorite is. Any
 ideas out there? >>

Martin,

John Gwilliam found a very small but beautifully oriented Holbrook individual
during our assault on the strewnfield last month. I can't remember the exact
weight but I'm pretty sure it was < 0.1g
The leading edge had classic flowlines with a rollover rim on the reverse. A
very nice example of orientation!

A friend of mine has returned from the Sahara recently with many 10's of
ordinary chondrites from a new strewnfield that he'd discovered. Each find
has GPS coordinates which he'd plotted on a graph to clearly show the
distribution ellipse. Right at one end of the ellipse, he'd plotted his
smallest find....an amazingly small but oriented individual of around 50mg.

Cheers,
Rob.

http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html
Fernlea Meteorites,