[meteorite-list] Martian Meteorite May Contain Water (NWA 817 )

From: Treiman, Allan <Treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:12 2004

Hi -
   This report of martian water in the new nakhlite is interesting but
not surprising. The other three nakhlite meteorites contain water-
bearing clay and salt minerals (like gypsum) in veinlets, and the
veinlets are melted when they hit the fusion crust. So, the water-
bearing minerals are pre-terrestrial == martian!

   I wonder, though. Could NWA 817 actually be only a piece of
Nakhla?

   Allan

Allan H. Treiman
Lunar and Planetary Institute