[meteorite-list] "Taza" classification

From: Matteo Chinellato <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:12 2004

Hello all

The piece introduces of the small patterns but they
are strange, they seem like the patterns thin of the
Gibeon, I have etched with Nitol and adding to other
acid but the patterns they remain always those.
Probably on a greater piece they are looked at of the
patterns better. If any of you want the photo of this
piece I send via email.
Regards

Matteo

--- "Matson, Robert" <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com> ha
scritto: > Hi Matteo,

> > Hello all Today, after an hour in order to smooth
> a face of a fragment
> > of the meteorite iron Taza, I have polished and
> etched the surface
> > and have appeared of the strange ones pattern. For
> my opinion the
> > Taza is not ataxite one, could be one octahedrite
> but it is much
> > strange one. The photography you can see it in the
> situated one: ...
>
> Unfortunately, I am unable to view your JPG image
> due to a
> firewall restriction at my work. However, I can
> tell you
> that "Taza" (name not approved yet!) is an unusual
> iron
> that does not fit well into one of the existing
> categories.
> It has high nickel content (~18%), thus the natural
> ataxite
> assumption. However, the trace metals are
> different, and
> some are calling this meteorite a plessitic
> octahedrite.
>
> Someone should try etching it with ferric chloride
> instead of
> Nitol to see if that improves the contrast of the
> underlying
> crystal pattern -- Ron/Jim? --Rob

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Telefax +39 041 5415850 Mobil Phone 0339 3895503
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Collection Site: http://utenti.tripod.it/M_come_Meteorite/Collection.html
ICQ 84588769
ID Ebay.com: mcomemeteorite_at_katamail.com