[meteorite-list] Another eBay scam?

From: Nick Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

Hi Tracey,

I think it's perfectly find for you to express your doubts directly to a
seller. Just back them up with whatever expertise you have. If what you
see is "blatantly" a meteorwrong, then tell the seller so. On occasion,
I've even notified the high bidders. Sometimes the bidders are just as
adamantly ignorant as the sellers are and don't want to be told
anything. I think a lot of these folks just don't know what they have. I
can remember how adamant I was that my first "meteorite" finds were in fact
meteorites. Just as adamant and indignant as this seller. But now I know
better. I think it takes a variety of people writing to these sellers from
a variety of points of view to convince them. When they get a barrage of
emails, some saying "you don't know schist from shale," some offering to
test the specimen, some with little first hand experience but who feel the
offering "just isn't right," some angry, some helpful, it is the variety
that eventually convinces them. So I would suggest you "call 'em as you
see them." (I decided to be helpful this time, sometimes I'm quite
indignant, and offered to have a look at it, return postage included - I
know the labs like UCLA just don't want to deal with these any more.)

Cheers,
Nick