[meteorite-list] Cover Slips/No Cover Slips

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

On Sun, 24 June 2001, Bernd Pauli HD wrote:

> Michael Blood wrote:
>
> > 1) SCRATCHING and ABRASION
>
> > 2) RUSTING
>
> Hi All,
>
> I whole-heartedly agree with Michael's two objections but would like
> to add another problem: the four edges of the thin section glass plates.
> They should always and principally be cut 45° and ground smooth to
> prevent cuts.
> As for rusting, this is almost self-evident but the risk of scratching
> and abrading does not only occur while removing and returning the TS
> to storage but also while rotating the thin section on the microscope
> stage when viewing your TS in polarized light to watch minerals go to
> exinction. So my vote is:
>
> => I collect thin sections & prefer WITH COVER SLIPS.
>
> Best regards from
> 95°F Southern
> Germany,
>
> Bernd

A bit confused on the scratching of it during rotation.

If one is careful and has the thin section up there is no danger of scratching. However, in rotating the microscope objectives, Always back off the focus so that the longer lens housings do not strike the specimen. With or without cover slips slides will be damaged if this is not adhered to.

Personally, I think I like them without cover slips-- especially with regards to the rare lunar and martian ones.

These will not rust, and being that the minerals are exposed, a microprobe will confirm their identity should any question arise as to that issue.

For the more common meteorites that have rusting problmens a cover slip might be in order.

Regards.
Steve Schoner