[meteorite-list] Meteorite Strikes!

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

Hello All,

While on a mini vacation I ran across the following information at a tourist
attraction, one of the Ripple Believe It Or Not(s). This may have been address at some
other time on the list.

One of the exhibits displayed a picture of a ship at sea (artists rendition). The ship
was called the Eclipse and it stated the masts were carried away by the striking
Meteorite while in the mid Pacific and the ship abandoned with three members killed
(from the fall or surviving rescue?)(either would be a direct result of a meteorite)
They were adrift on lifeboats for 18 days. This was to have happened on January 12,
1941. I took some pics of the exhibit.

They also mentioned the Odessa Meteorite site and had a nice Odessa meteorite
displayed in the case. If anyone has any archived information on the Eclipse I would
be interested in hearing more. Surprised that Nininger never mentioned this having it
happened in his field day of collecting but information traveled very slow in those
days. Best!

--AL