[meteorite-list] A geological wonder

From: Charlie <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

Hello list,

Well, here I am off-topic again, but when you see these photos, maybe
you'll forgive me this once. Mind-boggling!

In April, 2000, in a mine operated by the Nalca Mining Co. south of
Chihuahua City, Mexico, an astounding discovery was made. Operated since
1900, this mine has produced gold, silver, lead, zinc, and copper. Now
it may have produced the world's largest geode. At a depth of 960 feet,
a worker broke into this cavity some 24 feet in diameter which revealed
gypsum crystals up to 24 feet in length. The "room" has a temp. of 140
degrees F and a high humidity, not conducive to long stays, but check
out this photo. Truly one of the earth's geological wonders:

http://members.aol.com/giantcrystals/the.htm

http://members.aol.com/giantcrystals/crystal.jpg

Charlie