[meteorite-list] Mercury?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

On Thu, 28 June 2001, "Ed Majden" wrote:

> The Abee meteorite is believed to have formed in the close proximity of
> Mercury, perhaps even ejected from its surface. Do a search using "Google"
> for the Abee meteorite for more on this.
> Ed Majden

Yes, there is some speculation with regards to this possibility. The Abee meteorite (unique) and others similar to it, are depleted in oxygen, with strange minerals that should have oxygen, but having sulfur instead.

Some theories favor the inner Solar System for the origin of the Abee Meteorite because the inner Solar System in the models would have been depleted in oxygen, but high in sulfur.

I do not know the reasons for this.

You can see a picture and some info on Abee at:

http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification/ABEE.html

Steve Schoner, AMS